The Richard Divall Emerging Artists Programme has been created to honour the memory of one of Australia’s most lauded conductors, Maestro Richard Divall, supported by a generous bequest made by Melbourne born international soprano, Sylvia Fisher. Upon her death, Sylvia Fisher made this bequest to ensure the continuing support of the development new artists of operatic excellence in her hometown, Melbourne. Before Maestro Divall’s death in early 2017, he was closely involved in the planning and creation of this program in collaboration with Melbourne Opera.
Managed by a committee of professional opera artists through Melbourne Opera, The Richard Divall Emerging Artists Programme aims to develop singers of great potential to a performance-ready standard. It will focus on providing opportunities for emerging opera singers to experience the pressure of intensive role preparation, rehearsal and performance in a professional setting whilst continuing artistic development with tailored high quality coaching, workshops, master classes and mentoring. Applications for 2020-2021 intake will open in March 2020.
- Financial assistance with artistic development expenses
- Opportunities to perform and understudy main stage roles in a professional environment
- High level coaching for roles being performed and understudied as well as general repertoire
- Professional rehearsal conditions
- Exclusive opportunities to participate in master classes with visiting artists, conductors and directors
- Weekly language classes (Italian at IIC, German at Goethe Institute)
- Specific instruction in role preparation, & stagecraft (16th street actors studio & guest professionals)
- Professional practice instruction
- Mentoring from senior colleagues
- Performance opportunities
- This is an open age program
- Singers selected for The Richard Divall Emerging Artist Programme must be full time residents of the state of Victoria throughout the program as it is intensive and runs throughout the whole year.
- No relocation or interstate travel costs are provided.
Current Programme Members
2019-2020 Programme members are Louise Keast (soprano), Jane Magão (soprano), Shakira Dugan (mezzo soprano), Chloe Harris (mezzo soprano), Michael Dimovski (tenor), Louis Hurley (tenor), Darcy Carroll (baritone) and Associate Artists, Rebecca Rashleigh (soprano) and Stephen Marsh (baritone).
The Richard Divall Emerging Artists are extremely grateful to their supporters: The Ian Potter Foundation, Friends Of Melbourne Opera, Allan Myers AC and Maria Myers AC and the Sylvia Fisher Fund.
16th Street Actors Studio
Italian Institute of Culture
Goethe Institut Melbourne